World Class Golf in Guanacaste
Written by Jorge Carmona – Tamarindo Real Estate
Reserva Reserva Conchal Golf Course
Have you ever heard of Tiger Woods? Probably yes, but before his popularity as a golf player, this is how the sport started.
Modern golf was born in the 15th century in Scotland at the hands of warriors from the Highlands, a mountainous region in the north of the country, who beat the stones with sticks to put them into the holes formed by the rabbits.
Some interesting facts:
- The first recorded golf course in Scotland was the Old Links in Musselburgh, which opened in 1672
- The first written records of the word “golf” date back to the 16th century
- The first use of the word “golf” in a written document dates back to 1457, this word was used to describe an activity in which players hit a ball with a stick to make it fall into a hole in the ground
As golf spread around the world, the word “golf” was adopted in other languages, including French (le golf) and Portuguese (golfe). In brief, golf is a sporting activity that consists of pocketing a small ball in a hole using different types of clubs (sticks), using the least number of strokes possible.
In time, golf rules have changed and there are regulations for all golf courses around the world. Golf is currently played like this:
- The “par” is the “ideal” number of strokes that a player has to give until he or she gets the ball into the hole
- In golf, the “par of the course” is generally 72 strokes
- A golf course can par 71, par 72, par 73, or even par 70 or 69, although most courses are par 72 (this number corresponds to the sum of the par of all the holes on the course)
- There is no time limit for this sport and players usually take their time, however, this consideration should be taken: playing time for a stipulated round (18 holes) must NOT exceed: for a group of four players 4 hours and 50 minutes and for a group of two players 4 hours and 10 minutes
Golf has experienced important growth in recent years and many have been captivated by this relaxing sport of Scottish roots, it is important to maintain a cordial and positive attitude as well as following this rules in general:
- Appropriate dress code (a shirt with a collar as a polo shirt, pants or shorts for men, and skirts for women and golf Shoes or tennis)
- Respect for each other
- Follow the signs for course safety
- No trespassing on private property without authorization
- Not using “driving range” balls on the golf course
- No pets on the course
- No driving with more than 2 people in a cart
- A valid driver’s license is required to drive the golf carts
The Lineage of Golf In Costa Rica
Cariari Country Club
The road that golf has traveled in Costa Rica is very long. Golf history in Costa Rica has grown significantly, after the development of the Golfito Golf Club built by the high officials of the United Fruit Company in the south of the country and the Costa Rica Country Club (1947) in Escazú. Both golf courses organized tournaments between them thanks to the Mexican instructor José Pérez.
Also in 1971, ANAGOLF (Asociación Nacional de Golf -in Spanish) was created as a representative and regulatory body for golf in Costa Rica. This entity is in charge of promoting and maintaining the integrity of the sport and is governed by The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of Scotland. ANAGOLF is currently part of the International Golf Federation (IGF).
In 1973 the Cariari Country Club built the first course with 18 holes in the Central Valley, and the discipline of golf became more widely known. In recent years the sport has gained more popularity and golf in Guanacaste Costa Rica is very recognized globally, plus all fields are located in extraordinary areas with exceptional beauty!
Hacienda Pinilla Golf Course
Learn more about the golf courses along the Gold Coast, Papagayo area, Central and South Pacific region of Costa Rica.
The golf course at Hacienda Pinilla, presents an exceptional environment for indulging in the sport of links in a country that is widely acclaimed for its golfing heritage. Designed by esteemed architect Mike Young, the layout seamlessly harmonizes with the natural contours of the terrain, gracefully traversing the tropical forest along the Pacific coastline, thereby offering an unparalleled backdrop of shimmering azure waters.
The remarkable course can accommodate up to 7,200 yards of play. Its design aims to enhance the innate beauty of Hacienda Pinilla’s landscape, providing golfers with an extraordinary and meticulously maintained venue to indulge in a round. Also, they are committed to water resource conservation and preserving the pristine areas that serve as a sanctuary for Costa Rica’s remarkable wildlife.
Designed by the legendary Robert Trent Jones II and opened in 1997, the Parkland style course is based on a wavy with water hazards terrain, which makes this a difficult ranged course. This field is a 7,021-yard, par-71 championship golf course 18-hole. With its complex greens and layout that plays with elevation changes, the course challenges and knocks out players of all skill levels. It demands great precision and distance off the tee, but it makes up for it with wide fairways.
The golf course has impressive vegetation, streams, lakes, and more than 60 sand traps set the course, not to mention the abundant wildlife. The tropical dry forest that surrounds the course is home to coatis (coati-mundi), monkeys, iguanas, raccoons, countless exotic birds, and impressive native tree species, making golfing an ecological experience.
Due to the high standards in golfing and conservation, Reserva Conchal Golf Course has been honored with:
- Top 5 Courses in Costa Rica, Golf Digest, May 2012
- Top 25 Foreign Golf Resorts, Conde Nast Magazine, April 2011
- Best Courses of the Caribbean & Mexico, Golf Week, ranking between No. 18 and No. 30, 2008-2016
Ranked among the “Top 100 Courses Outside the United States” by Golf Digest, the Arnold Palmer signature design, is a private 18-hole, par-72, winds through 125 acres of old-growth forest, valleys, and sea cliffs shaped by an ancient lava flow.
“We were honored to have been chosen to design the first golf course at Peninsula Papagayo. We were given an excellent piece of property, a lush tropical landscape, exciting elevation changes, and 360-degree ocean views from many holes. The course is not only beautiful but a fair test of golf.” -Arnold Palmer
It has dramatic elevation changes and a variegated landscape stir the senses while wide fairways and large greens provide a fair and challenging test for all skill levels.
Papagayo Golf and Country Club
The golf course (18-hole golf course with a par 72) designed by Bernie Anderson, is located close to Sardinal de Carrillo, and 30 minutes from Liberia the main town before reaching the Papagayo area, and is considered a typical idyllic sleepy Costa Rican village with a large central square and an old church.
Located at the Nandayure canton is a Guanacaste golf destination. The 9-hole golf course comes with a driving range that has been developed as a par 3 nine-hole course.
Tango Mar is laid out over gently rolling grounds and across the cliffs above the ocean, the resort’s neatly groomed, 9-hole par 3 and 4 Executive Golf Course gives you a great day’s play in the tropical surroundings of palm trees and exotic birds.
This 19-hole course, Parkland style, opened in 1999 and is slightly undulating with water hazards with a difficulty of moderate to hard. It is situated amid the tropical scenery of Los Delfines Golf & Country Club.
As an interesting fact, Los Delfines has been working along with ASOPROLAPA, which is focused on conserving and preserving the Red Macaw (Ara Macao). The ultimate goal of the project is to reintroduce a population of Red Macaws to the Nicoya Peninsula, where they disappeared naturally over 30 years ago. Today Los Delfines has a population of more than 100 Red Macaws and more than 50 years of freedom.
La Iguana Golf Course at Marriott Los Sueños (Central Pacific region) features 18 championship holes with a 73.4-course rating, par-72, and a slope of 145. It’s an exotic 6,698-yard Ted Robinson-designed golf course.
Located in the southern area of Costa Rica and designed by Canadian architect Dan Lavis, the 09 holes course was first opened in 2013. Osa Golf is a great tree-lined course with stunning views, long carries over creeks and undulating challenging greens.
If you are interested in golfing in the Central Valley of Costa Rica, here are some options:
- Los Reyes Golf and Country Club (La Guácima, Alajuela)
- Valle del Sol (Santa Ana, San José)
- Costa Rica Country Club (Escazú, San José)
- Cariari Country Club (Belén, Heredia)
- Monterán Golf Course (Tres Ríos, San José)
- Eagle Eye Golf and Country Club (Cartago)
Get inspired by golf movies!
The Legend of Bagger Vance movie
Either if you are a current golf player or a beginner, these inspirational films will entertain you!
- The Legend of Bagger Vance (Will Smith, Matt Damon and Charlize Theron)
- The Greatest Game Ever Played (Shia LaBeouf)
- Tin Cup (Kevin Costner and Renee Russo)
- Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius (Jim Caviezel and Claire Forlani)
Golf in Guanacaste Costa Rica can be very entertaining for professionals and enthusiasts, not only for the challenges the field represents but for the enjoyment of beautiful landscapes, natural scenery and tropical weather. Pick your favorite destination and enjoy the world-class renowned golf course in Costa Rica!
Interested in living right next to a golf course? Check these properties in Reserva de Golf in Hacienda Pinilla Real Estate.
This remarkable, BRAND NEW 3121 sq. ft. (290M2) residence located on lot 69 in Los Almendros features 3 bedrooms, 3.5 bathroom, includes a spacious Master Bedroom and epitomizes indoor and outdoor tropical living with a spectacular view of Hacienda Pinilla’s championship golf course (Fairway #2)
Casa Encanto is a dazzling colonial modern pre-construction house inside Reserva de Golf which is a luxurious residential community that runs along the famous Mike Young signature golf course. This great community is minutes walking to the beach and the J.W. Marriott Hotel. Reserva de Golf offers a private gated entry, 24/7 security, paved roads, excellent infrastructure, and a central park with tropical landscaping and a beautiful fountain.
Contact us for more information about Hacienda Pinilla Real Estate.